Thursday, December 22, 2005

Rest in peace Richard

Richard Pryor died. He'd been sick for years with MS and it was a release. Yes, it's true that he had a drug problem once and that his humor was on the blue side but his humor was REAL. Every black person who saw him on stage, TV or in the movies understood what Richard was talking about.

I loved Richard because in his prime he was the funniest man alive and because he reminded me very much of my father. They looked alike, sounded a bit alike and both were funny. My dad used to say that since he was the oldest Richard Pryor really looked like him and not the other way around. My father has been dead for more than 20 years now and it still seems so strange and now with Richard gone it seems like another link to him is gone forever.




Eternal rest, give to him, Oh Lord.
Let prepetual light shine upon him.