Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Can You forgive her?

Victorian novelist Anthony Trollope wrote among others, a book called "Can You Forgive Her?" It was about the wild, but big hearted, Lady Glencora and her husband Sir Plantagenet Paliser. Glencora messed up in a number of ways and came to the brink of social disaster but Plantagenet always came through. He always forgave and he never stopped loving her. I think of this book every time I go to Confession. My thoughts tend to be something like, "It's me again, Lord. I've blown it again. I don't deserve to be here. I should be ashamed to ask You anything but …" And then He does forgive me time after time and that is so incredible. God's forgiveness is so huge a miracle that I don't see why people have to spend thousands of dollars running to Medjugorje.