Monday, August 23, 2010

the race thing again

I was reading an essay by a doctor who was horrified when a black aquaintance told him that well-to-do blacks go on all black cruises---gasp, and have guest speakers like Louis Farakhan. From this the doctor concluded that a race war is on the way. He figured that if educated black people were paying to hear Farakhan speak then the underlass is just a roiling cauldron that's fixing to bubble over any year now.

I think the doc either heard what he wanted to hear or he simply got punked, as the kids say. Farakhan is old, and sick with prostate cancer. He doesn't travel like he used to and I don't think he'd be happy on a boat with alcohol, gambling, pork and women in bikins. Yes, there are all black cruises. Usually it's family reunions, associations, sororities, fraternities, music festivals and the like. I don't see what's so frightening about that.

Now, I do believe that the Obama era has worsened race relations. There has been stupidity on all sides. Rocky and I went to one of the black parishes in our diocese and found a framed photo of Obama on the wall next to MLK and St. Martin de Pores. I was so upset my stomach churned. Obama is not a saint, he's not the reward for our ancestors surviving slavery. He's not a prophet, prince or mesisah. As the economy tanks I think people, except for the creepy true believers are starting to wake up but I fear that it's too little too late, like the people who realized that Jim Jones was a monster right before their neighbors forced the Kool-Aid down their throats.

Lord have mercy.
Christ have mercy.
Lord have mercy.
St. Martin, pray for us.
St. Moses, pray for us.
St. Katherine Drexel, pray for us.
St. Josephine, pray for us.
Henriette deLile, pray for us.
Mother Mary Lange, pray for us.