Sunday, August 19, 2012

random thoughts

  • I think the Pro-Life folks got sold out. The Al Smith dinner will go as usual. Everyone will have a good time. The Cardinal is far too civilized to pull a St. John the Baptist or a St. John Chystostom. I hope I'm wrong but I expect to see a photo with the Cardinal standing  between Romney and Obama with his head thrown back laughing.
  • New Yorkers really aren't all that tough. They just ignore stuff and keep moving.


  • I didn't notice any mention of Nellie Gray's death in the big time professional Catholic blogs.
  • I'll be so glad when this election is over. In the last few weeks we haven't been able to go to the grocery store or even the parking lot of our  apartment building without being intercepted by some eager soul trying to get us registered to vote. Last Thursday Rocky  had to shoo away two volunteer women while trying to unload our groceries. He's cute but gee whiz....
  • Speaking of the registration people... should Cousin Pookie who hasn't been sober or even given a damn about anything since the 80s really be voting?  If you have beg him, force him into a van and up to the voting booth with the promise of a little something later for his trouble should he be voting? Should a kid who doesn't even know who the Vice President is be voting? Maybe we should just leave these people in peace and leave voting to the folks who actually care about what's going on.
  • Good taste and an English accent do not always go together.
  • Life in the suburbs is actually more anonymous than life in the city. People moved out here to get away the old neighborhood. Here as long as you keep your grass cut, your condo quiet and your kids out of trouble you can pretty much live as you please without any comments from your neighbors who probably don't even know your name or care to do so.  I used to wonder why parishes in the 'burbs were so cold and unfriendly compared to the parishes I've been to in the city. I think it has to do with the urge to be left alone and in peace that has mutated into a "Get the hell away from me unless you belong to my group or have a child in the parish school," gene.